Thursday, November 20, 2008

Stainless Steel Metal Sculpture

Of all the materials that can be used to build Modern Contemporary Sculpture, Stainless Steel is one of the most enduring. It can take all temperatures and climates and end up looking the same for eternity. However as beautiful and enduring the material is it is one of the hardest to work with. It is such a hard material that without a Plasma cutter and special grinding wheels it is almost impossible to work with. David Smith used it in his "Cubi" series with much success in his approach, using a industrial shear to cut it and leaving his weld bare or not grinding them to a finished corner. This was a great way to get around working with such a hard material. Stainless steel is nothing more than regular steel with nickel added. The more nickel added the higher the grade of stainless you are dealing with.
I chose to use stainless steel in my "Split Plane" series. It had all the features I was looking for. For me the answer to all my sculptural questions is "Light". Stainless steel definitely embodied the reflective qualities of light, even when sandblasted as the "Split Plane Series was. If any one knows the where abouts of the stainless piece in the photograph above please contact Christopher Georgesco at georgesco1@yahoo.com as the piece went missing sometime in the early 80's.
This "Split Plane" series lasted for 3 years 1981-1984 and was another departure from using volumes as in my early wood and and concrete sculptures, however in many ways it was a extension of the "Mixed Metals" series. These Stainless Steel pieces are among my favorite planer works.
After this series I lost the lease on my Venice Studio. By that time Venice had become overpopulated and very expensive. I was at a New Years Eve Party at one of my first Art Collector's, and a beautiful woman with Red Henna Hair in a Gold La-may Dress walked in the room. I was struck by how much she looked like the copper and bronze sculptures I had worked on a few years earlier. Little did I know that this woman was the owner of a successful Natural Skin Care Corporation and 2 weeks later I found myself in Paris at the Ritz Hotel wearing Armani suits and bearing the card of Art Director. For the next 5 years I would travel extensively through France, Italy Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Indonesia, Australia, Singapore, Bali, Puerto Rico, Mexico, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago and of course New York. As much as I missed making Art this was a great opportunity to see all the Art I had studied in Art History, and a great way to familiarize myself with the world. Five years later I returned to making Sculpture again. As with all good things, times change and you must change with them. I dumped the house I owned on Beverly Glen in Bel Air, California and picked up a new studio in the Wilshire District of L.A. in a Old Art Deco High Rise named the "Desmond's Tower". The old tried and true took place again after securing the entire 8th floor, 3 years later , Ace Gallery Leased the entire 30,000 square foot 2nd floor and when my initial lease ended the the owner doubled my lease and I was now off to Downtown L.A. the next place to become a hot spot for Art. To View More Images Click> www.georgescoart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts to the Modern Contemporary Sculpture Blog are moderated. We invite your comments. Please make your comments relevant to the post, and please no spam. Thank you.