Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mixed Metal Sculpture

Around 1980 I began working on a new Series tittled "Mixed Metals." The Series was a experiment in working with Planes, rather than Volumes as I had in the past. I also began using different metals for their color properties to contrast to one another. The photograph in this section is one of the first Split Plane pieces I did in "Mixed Metals", it was 9 feet tall and approx. 1,000 pounds.
At this time I was very much into exploring the possibilities of using natural materials for color as I had in the past, but now I was traveling in a new direction. Switching from Volumes to Planes and using different metals as one would use paint for colors. This piece shown was made of Cor 10 steel (a steel which oxidizes and heals over to become weather resistant) and Galvanized Steel also known as Zinc plating. I investigated many combinations of metals. Copper, Bronze, Nickel, Cor10 Steel and Stainless Steel, all for their contrasts in color. Not only was I working with a new concept, changing my sculpture from volumes to planes, but I began adding new shapes to my Vocabulary.
I would sometimes work in series of 3, by cutting the same shapes out of 3 identical size pieces of different metals, such as nickel, copper and bronze.. The pieces would later be switched around in a mixed combination of the 3 metals, making each pieces the same configuration, but the color combinations of each pieces different. The result would be 3 similar sculptures with 3 different color combinations.
For me when one idea is explored and worked out to a point of redundancy its time to move on. Maybe using a new concept, but always using the same Vocabulary of shapes. As with a Language your vocabulary will grow the more you explore the possibilities of your Language. Sometimes taking a walk in the Park can give you a renewed vision of your work. (click the tittle Mixed Metals to view more examples of this series) or Click > http://www.georgescoart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts to the Modern Contemporary Sculpture Blog are moderated. We invite your comments. Please make your comments relevant to the post, and please no spam. Thank you.